What Is Neuromuscular Massage?
Are you suffering from lower back pain?
NEUROMUSCULAR MASSAGE , NMT or trigger point myotherapy as it is sometimes called, is one of the massage techniques I use in my practice to help people with lower back pain. You must remember that your nervous system controls everything in your body, including muscle tension as well as your threshold of pain.
Are you suffering in pain right now? Have you been forced to just “deal” with it by relying on pain pills? Then listen closely as we discuss this information.
NEUROMUSCULAR MASSAGE For Pain Management
NMT is a deep tissue massage and is applied directly to individual specific muscles, ligaments, connective tissue & tendons that are contributing to your pain and misery. NMT excels here over the traditional relaxation massage that you may get in a spa.
When you come to visit me with your back pain you will sit in the special massage chair that you see above. Slowly and gently I will be using my thumbs, finger tips and even my elbows to explore every fiber tissue looking for bands of muscle fibers that are tighter than the rest of them.
Once I find the guilty muscle spasms, I will then treat them until they “release”, or relax. Sometimes it will mean that I will exert some steady pressure on this knot from anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds at a time. Will it hurt? Remember that you are in pain righ now, aren’t you? So yes, you may feel the pressure for a few seconds as I cause the muscle spasm to relax. But in the end it will be worth it.
In fact– most people describe the pressure as a “good” pain as it releases.
That is what I love about this form of message therapy. NMT will increase blood flow, reduce the pain and actually release pressure on nerves caused by past soft tissue and muscle injuries. Wouldn’t it be nice to find an alternate way to manage pain besides taking strong pain pills?
Hey– It Doesn’t Hurt Over There!
You may find this interesting…
People often wonder why I will be working on one area when it hurts them somewhere else. The reason we do that is neural muscular massage helps to release trigger points and intense muscle knots that release pain in other areas of the body that are connected by the same muscel. This is known as “Referred Pain”. For example: Relieving a tense trigger point in your back…could help ease pain in your shoulder or even reduce headaches. Make sense?
What Are The Benefits Of Neuromuscular Massage?
Neuromuscular Therapy will be used to address each of the five elements that cause pain in everyone of us:
- Ischemia: Isechemia is simply a lack of blood supply to soft tissues which results in hypersensitivity to touch.
- Trigger Points: These highly irritated points in muscles which refer pain to other parts of the body. Remember we spoke about how releasing a trigger point in your left shoulder could release or stop those terrible headaches.
- Nerve Entrapment or Nerve Compression : This is simply pressure on a nerve caused by any of the following:
2. Soft tissue
- Postural Distortion: This is an imbalance of the muscular system resulting from the movement of the body off the longitudinal and horizontal planes. This is a fancy way of saying your body needs a muscel alignment just like your car does after hitting a pothole!
- Biomechanical Dysfunction: This refers to the imbalance of the musculoskeletal system resulting in faulty movement patterns such as :
1. Poor lifting habits
2. Terrible golf swing
3. Lousy tennis stroke
4. Incorrect typing posture
If you feel that you may benefit from Neuro-muscular Massage therapy, give me a call and we will discuss your particular problems and see if it may be right for you.
Providing Atlanta Neromuscular Massage Therapy throughout Atlanta, Oakwood, Buford, Hamilton Mill, Suwanee, Jefferson, Braselton, Statham, Hoschton, Chestnut Mountain, Bethlehem, Dacula, Winder, Auburn, Cumming, Flowery Branch, Sugar Hill, Roswell, Lawrenceville, Norcross, Duluth, Dunwoody, Alpharetta, Athens, and Gainesville Ga